Learn how to create an abstract composition drawn from reality using YOUR preferred medium and techniques*. Working from a personal source of inspiration found in nature or place, students will learn the basics of abstraction through observation, reflection and repetition.
Brenda developed this workshop especially for committed students looking to stretch their creative muscles and to explore abstraction both in concept and practice. The multi-segment program includes:
- Module 1 (3 hours): an overview of the history of abstraction in the visual arts including both non-objective abstraction and abstraction from reality; an introduction to the elements of design and developing your art vocabulary; warm-up composition exercises;
- Module 2 (3 hours): inspiration gathering, setting parameters, compositional options and the principles of design; converting ideas into compositions;
- Module 3 (optional): informal open studio session where Brenda is available to help troubleshoot abstraction issues;
- Module 4: group presentations and feedback. The language of critique. All students are expected to participate in this module and contribute to a supportive environment.
Spaces are limited. A$125.
Course Dates August/September 2021:
All dates are shown in Sydney time. Use the Time Zone Converter Tool to calculate the time at your location.
- Module 1: 5am-8am Wednesday 25 August
- Module 2: 5am-5am Thursday 26 August
- Module 3: from 5am Thursday 9 September
- Module 4: from 5am Thursday 30 September
*The Zoom version of this class does NOT include technique instruction. Students are expected to have the skills necessary to undertake the assignments in their preferred medium and techniques. While most students are likely to be working in fabric (eg piecing, applique, fusing, surface design), all mediums are welcome
For in-person workshops, the construction focus is on machine piecing and some technique guidance is available. Previous experience in improvisational piecing construction techniques is highly desirable. Not suitable for beginners.