Learn how to create an abstract composition drawn from reality using YOUR preferred medium and techniques*. Working from a personal source of inspiration found in nature or place, students will learn the basics of abstraction through observation, reflection and repetition.
Brenda developed this workshop especially for committed students looking to stretch their creative muscles and to explore abstraction both in concept and practice. The multi-segment program includes:
- Module 1 (3 hours): an overview of the history of abstraction in the visual arts including both non-objective abstraction and abstraction from reality; an introduction to the elements of design and developing your art vocabulary; warm-up composition exercises;
- Module 2 (3 hours): inspiration gathering, setting parameters, compositional options and the principles of design; converting ideas into compositions;
- Module 3 (optional): informal open studio session where Brenda is available to help troubleshoot abstraction issues;
- Module 4: group presentations and feedback. The language of critique. All students are expected to participate in this module and contribute to a supportive environment.
*The Zoom version of this class does NOT include technique instruction. Students are expected to have the skills necessary to undertake the assignments in their preferred medium and techniques.
2023 Workshop Dates
- Group 1 (Weekdays) from 5am 3, 4 and 18 May and 8 June 2023 (This is the afternoon in North America and evenings in the UK and Europe.)
- Group 2 (Weekends) from 6pm 6, 7 and 20 May and 10 June 2023 (This is morning time in the UK and Europe.)
What my students say:
Katherine Burgess (UK)
Abstraction in Action is the third Serendipity workshop I’ve attended – Brenda is an excellent teacher and you forget that the classes are over Zoom. I’m not a very experienced quilter or quilt-maker but every step of this design-based process was explained brilliantly. The exercises were exciting and are something I will use again and again. Brenda gave me the confidence to run with my own idea and create designs personal to me, something I’ve never done before. I’m now brimming with ideas on how to take my ideas further.I’ve hugely enjoyed every aspect of this course – a big step out of my comfort zone but so worthwhile 😊.