Abstraction in Action is a design and composition workshop is for committed students looking to stretch their creative muscles and to explore abstraction both in concept and practice. Here is a selection of work from some of the students that joined me for Abstraction in Action in February/March 2022. Book now for Abstraction in Action coming up on 7, 8 & 21 May and 18 June from 5pm Sydney time (good for Europe).
- Alexandra Panagopoulou: Charilaos Trikoupis Bridge linking the Pelponnese peninsula to mainland Greece
- Bieke Paternoster: IG @bieke_paternoster
- Carol Ann Ferguson: bottlebrush
- Lynn Hanna: Yosemite National Park
- Katherine Burgess: paddle boarding with the family
- Sandra Sullivan: Torri gates, Kyoto
- Wendy Dowden: Greek window shutters IG:@wendyd56
Abstraction in Action Course Description
Learn how to create an abstract composition drawn from reality using YOUR preferred medium and techniques*. Working from a personal source of inspiration found in nature or place, you will learn the basics of abstraction through observation, reflection and repetition.
Spaces are available for 2022 Group 2. All dates are shown in Sydney time which is morning in the UK and Europe:
- Module 1: 5-8pm Saturday 7 May
- Module 2: 5-8pm Sunday 8 May
- Module 3: from 5pm Saturday 21 May
- Module 4: from 5pm Saturday 18 June
The multi-segment program includes:
- Module 1 (3 hours): an overview of the history of abstraction in the visual arts including both non-objective abstraction and abstraction from reality; an introduction to the elements of design and developing your art vocabulary; warm-up composition exercises;
- Module 2 (3 hours): inspiration gathering, setting parameters, compositional options and the principles of design; converting ideas into compositions;
- Module 3 (optional): informal open studio session where I am available to help troubleshoot abstraction issues and I share how I use digital drawing on my iPad as a design tool;
- Module 4: group presentations and feedback. The language of critique. All students are expected to participate in this module and contribute to a supportive environment.
*This course does NOT include technique instruction. Students are expected to have the skills necessary to undertake the assignments in their preferred medium and techniques. While most students are likely to be working in fabric (eg piecing, applique, fusing, surface design), all mediums are welcome.
Use the Time Zone Converter Tool to calculate the time at your location.
Spaces are limited. A$160.
What my students say
Abstraction in Action is the third Serendipity workshop I’ve attended – Brenda is an excellent teacher and you forget that the classes are over Zoom. I’m not a very experienced quilter or quilt-maker but every step of this design-based process was explained brilliantly. The exercises were exciting and are something I will use again and again. Brenda gave me the confidence to run with my own idea and create designs personal to me, something I’ve never done before. I’m now brimming with ideas on how to take my ideas further.I’ve hugely enjoyed every aspect of this course – a big step out of my comfort zone but so worthwhile 😊.Katherine Burgess (UK)
This [Abstraction in Action] course is an excellent introduction to the process of abstract art. The blending of instruction and doing, sharing and feedback, led to a very productive series of workshops.Mary Whitehouse (UK) IG: @yorkstitcherBlog: yorkstitcher.uk