Bookings are now open for my live, interactive Zoom workshops for a range of time zones in mid 2021. In addition to the technique-based, 3 hour workshops, I offer a long format workshop with a focus on the design and composition process. Abstraction in Action is a four module/10 hour workshop for committed students looking to stretch their creative muscles and to explore abstraction both in concept and practice. This workshop returns on 25/26 August, 9 and 30 September 2021. Spaces are limited.
Abstraction in Action Student Gallery
I am so excited about the work created by my students in the April sessions and their thoughtful participation. Thanks to the eight artists that have agreed to share their work below:
- Paola Machetta writes about the “pocket sky” reflected in the windows at @thecultofquilt
- Giovanna Nicolai was inspired by New York at night 🚖 @jonikquilts
- Diane Garrison’s oozes summer with luscious watermelon
- Joan Backus:
- Deborah Laurie: blue fairy wren`
- Vicki Martyn: architecture and portals
- Eileen Donovan: prickly pear cactus
- Marie McEachern: thistle
Abstraction in Action Course Outline
Learn how to create an abstract composition drawn from reality using YOUR preferred medium and techniques*. Working from a personal source of inspiration found in nature or place, students will learn the basics of abstraction through observation, reflection and repetition.
The multi-segment program includes:
- Module 1 (3 hours): an overview of the history of abstraction in the visual arts including both non-objective abstraction and abstraction from reality; an introduction to the elements of design and developing your art vocabulary; warm-up composition exercises;
- Module 2 (3 hours): inspiration gathering, setting parameters, compositional options and the principles of design; converting ideas into compositions;
- Module 3 (optional): informal open studio session where Brenda is available to help troubleshoot abstraction issues; and
- Module 4: review and feedback. The language of critique. All students are expected to participate in this module and contribute to a supportive environment.
Class sizes are capped to optimise a personal experience.
Course Dates: August/September 201
All dates are shown in Sydney time. Use the Time Zone Converter Tool to calculate the time at your location.
- Module 1: 5am-8am Wednesday 25 August
- Module 2: 5am-5am Thursday 26 August
- Module 3: from 5am Thursday 9 September
- Module 4: from 5am Thursday 30 September
*The Zoom version of this class does NOT include technique instruction. Students are expected to have the skills necessary to undertake the assignments in their preferred medium and techniques. While most students are likely to be working in fabric (eg piecing, applique, fusing, surface design), all mediums are welcome.