We all learn by doing! Book now for my new live, interactive Zoom workshop Abstraction in Action, a four module (10 hour) workshop for committed students looking to stretch their creative muscles and to explore abstraction both in concept and practice.
Not having heard something is not as good as having heard it; having heard it is not as good as having seen it; having seen it is not as good as knowing it; knowing it is not as good as putting it into practice.Xun Kuang, Chinese Confucian philosopher (apparently not Benjamin Franklin)
Back in November 2020, it was my pleasure to teach an in-person abstraction workshop at Berry Quilt & Co. That experience gave me confidence to develop an online version of this class especially for committed students looking to stretch and grow. Bookings are now open!
Abstraction in Action Course Outline
Learn how to create an abstract composition drawn from reality using YOUR preferred medium and techniques*. Working from a personal source of inspiration found in nature or place, students will learn the basics of abstraction through observation, reflection and repetition.
The multi-segment program includes:
- Module 1 (3 hours): an overview of the history of abstraction in the visual arts including both non-objective abstraction and abstraction from reality; an introduction to the elements of design and developing your art vocabulary; warm-up composition exercises;
- Module 2 (3 hours): inspiration gathering, setting parameters, compositional options and the principles of design; converting ideas into compositions;
- Module 3 (optional): informal open studio session where Brenda is available to help troubleshoot abstraction issues; and
- Module 4: review and feedback. The language of critique. All students are expected to participate in this module and contribute to a supportive environment.
Spaces are limited. Class sizes are capped to optimise a personal experience.
All dates are shown in Sydney time. Use the Time Zone Converter Tool to calculate the time at your location.
Group One (Weekend days):
- Module 1: 9am-12 noon Saturday 20 March
- Module 2: 9am -12 noon Sunday 21 March
- Module 3: from 1pm Saturday 10 April
- Module 4: 10am Saturday 1 May
Group Two (Week days – US friendly times):
- Module 1: 6am-9am Wednesday 24 March
- Module 2: 6am-9am Thursday 25 March
- Module 3: from 5am Wednesday 7 April
- Module 4: 5am Thursday 29 April
*The Zoom version of this class does NOT include technique instruction. Students are expected to have the skills necessary to undertake the assignments in their preferred medium and techniques. While most students are likely to be working in fabric (eg piecing, applique, fusing, surface design), all mediums are welcome.