I vividly recall attending my first New Zealand quilt symposium in Christchurch in 2003. I signed up for five days of classes and attended every lecture, exhibition and associated event that I could possibly fit into my schedule. It was exhilarating. A stimulating, quilting event organised by quilters (on a voluntary basis) for quilters.
So I am thrilled to be part of Quilt Symposium Manawatu (16-21 January 2015). I am exhibiting Living Colour!; giving a lunchtime presentation (Saturday, 17 January 12.15-1pm) Adventures & Inspiration from the Twelve by Twelve International Art Quilt Challenge AND teaching five one-day workshops. Registrations are open now for these classes:
- Strata Various: Make beautiful music in fabric and colour. First create your unique strata in your favourite colours. Then mix it up with cutting, slashing, insertions and other deconstruction and improvisational techniques.
- Stacks of Improvisation: Improvise with fabric stacks, freehand cutting and pinless curved piecing. Imagine the possibilities! These colour and design exercises will set you on the path of personal, creative self-expression in art quilts and can be translated to larger works.
- Serendipity Circles: Is it time to let loose?! This workshop explores stress-free methods of fusing or piecing your very own circles of serendipity without templates or rulers.
- Scrap Queen Odyssey: Join me in an adventurous journey designed to realise the potential of your quilting scrap bag no matter what shape or size your scraps are.
- Power Stripping: Learn the secrets of “power stripping”! Striking designs that grow quickly with minimum fuss and maximum fabric economy.
I hope you can join me and we can improvise together!