I finished quilting Dreaming in Colour on the weekend. There have been a few hitches along the way. Don’t you hate it when this happens?!
Here’s a shot showing before and after quilting:
There are a couple of changes that might not be immediately perceptible. The first is that I decided that the blue line at the right end of the orange/yellow square band was too long. I don’t mind some asymmetry but this was close to a visual hole in the composition. Dropping in an additional orange/yellow square unit was reasonably straightforward.
In considering finishing treatments, I dismissed a binding option. A binding might have allowed me to “add” a quarter inch around the perimeter of the composition. However, a heavy dark blue line on the edges of the coloured elements of this design would have been visually instrusive. Besides, on a purely practical level, I did not have enough blue hand-dyed fabric left for a binding.
I have successfully used an overcast edge finish on several works recently. This finish would preserve the 73cm and I decided to proceed. I had a heavier weight thread that I thought would be ideal to give complete coverage. What a disaster! See for yourself. Yuck! This literally gave me nightmares!
This morning, I pulled out the seam ripper and removed all of overcast edging that I had done on two sides. Even though it means the piece will “shrink” a little more, I completed the work with my Favourite Facing Finish. The piece now measures 131x72cm (HxW), safely within the permitted 5% variation. Come back tomorrow to see the finished work.
This the latest update in my series of blog posts about the process of creating Dreaming in Colour. I invite you to follow along.