Quilting Resume of Brenda Gael Smith
Quiltmaker, Designer, Teacher, Curator,
Writer & Quilt Judge
- Quilts=Art=Quilts 2014, Schweinfurth Memorial Art Center, Auburn, NY: Desert Tracks: Not Terra Nullius
- Australia Wide Four (2014-2016) a travelling exhibition of Ozquilt Network Inc – Neptune’s Necklace #2
- Progressions 2014: Toowoomba Regional Art Gallery: Tundra and Forest
- Australia Quilts: European Patchwork Meeting 2014 guest country exhibition
- Reconciliation 2014: Gosford Regional Art Gallery: Desert Tracks: Not Terra Nullius
- PETITE Miniature TEXTILES 2014: Wangaratta exhibitions Gallery, Victoria – High Country Lupins #2
- TEN – AQC Challenge 2014: The X Factor
- Brother International Quilting Contest 2013 – Eco Challenge: Forest;
- Dare to Differ 2013: Gallery M, Adelaide: Flying Colours: Eclectus Parrots;
- FREE – AQC Challenge 2013: Flying Colours: Uncaged
- Golden Textures Contemporary Art Quilt Exhibition, Central Goldfields Art Gallery, Maryborough, Victoria April 2013 – Dreamlines #5;
- Art Quilt Australia 2013: People Place & Nation: CraftACT, Canberra: Desert Tracks: Not Terra Nullius and Canberra: Meeting Place;
- Australia Wide Three (2012-2014):a travelling exhibition of Ozquilt Network Inc - Tussock
- PETITE Miniature TEXTILES 2012: Wangaratta exhibitions Gallery, Victoria – Pyrenees #3, Poppy Field
- Regeneration: Contemporary Quilt Textiles 2012: Manly Art Gallery & Museum, Sydney, Regrowth and Hope, Promise, Bounty: Reap What You Sew;
- Selections from the Del Thomas Contemporary Quilt Collection 2012: Visions Art Gallery, San Diego, Evergreen
- Dare to Differ 2011: Gallery M – Marion Cultural Centre, Desire Lines#5: After the Rain and Turf
- Seven Deadly Sins - AP&Q AQC Challenge 2011: Desire Lines #7: Lust in the Log Cabin
- One Step Further 2010: Whitehorse Art Space, Box Hill, Victoria – Desire Lines#6: Spark! and Shining Through
- Australia Wide Two (2010-2012):a travelling exhibition of Ozquilt Network Inc - Tussock
- The New Quilt 2010: Manly Art Gallery & Museum, Sydney, New South Wales Desire Lines#5: After the Rain and Turf
- PETITE Miniature TEXTILES 2010: Wangaratta exhibitions Gallery, Victoria – Milk Chocolate
- Remember - AP&Q AQC Challenge 2010: Timelines #1: Remember the Date!
- One Step Further 2009: Central Goldfields Art Gallery, Victoria Desire Lines #3: Running Hot & Cold
- Fantasy - AP&Q AQC Challenge 2009: Dreamlines #1: Magic Carpet
- Re-fabricating Environments 2008: Braemar Gallery, Springwood NSW – Afterglow and Acacia Bloom
- Dare to Differ 2008: Prospect Gallery, Adelaide, SA - Grass
- My Place travelling exhibition (2008-2010): Tudibaring - Place where the waves pound like a beating heart.
Twelve by Twelve International Exhibition Program
- April 2010 Australasian Quilt Convention, Melbourne, Australia
- May 2010 Gosford Regional Gallery, NSW Australia
- June 2010 Textile Art Festival, Brisbane, Queensland
- September 2010 Craft & Quilt Fair, Hamilton, New Zealand
- September 2010 Craft & Quilt Fair, Christchurch, NZ
- April 2011 Midsomer Quilting, Chilcompton, UK
- August 2011 Festival of Quilts, Birmingham, UK
- November 2011 International Quilt Festival, Houston, USA
- April 2012 International Quilt Festival, Cincinnati, USA
- July 2012 International Quilt Festival, Long Beach, USA
- September 2012 North West Quilting Expo, Portland, Oregon, USA
- February 2012 Craft & Quilt Fair, Palmerston North, New Zealand (Colourplay)
- April 2013 Australasian Quilt Convention. Melbourne, Australia (Colourplay)
- May 2012 Pinnacles Gallery, Townsville Australia (Colourplay)
- July 2013 Midsomer Quilting, Chilcompton, UK (Colourplay)
- August 2013 AQS Quilt Show, Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA (Colourplay)
- September 2013 North West Quilting Expo, Portland, Oregon, USA (2012 Series)
- October 2013 AQS Quilt Show, Des Moines, Iowa, USA (Colourplay)
- September 2014 European Patchwork Meeting/Carrefour Européen du Patchwork (Colourplay)
- October 2014 Association Belge du Patchwork exhibition (Colourplay)
Selected Bibliography & Videography
- Quilting Arts magazine (February-March 2012) celebrates art quilt collaboration and includes an in-depth Q&A article about the Twelve by Twelve project.
- Patchwork- und Quiltjournal (February 2012) celebrates its 20th anniversary with a special edition. It includes an article about the Twelve by Twelve exhibition of the Theme Series at Festival of Quilts in Birmingham in 2011.
- More than thirty projects in Australian magazines such as Australian Patchwork & Quilting, Down Under Quilts, Quilters Companion, Down Under Textiles, Australian Homespun and Australian Country Craft
- Four Fantastic Quilt Finishing Techniques, instructional DVD and article Quilters Companion, May 2009.
- Meet A Quilter Profiles, Down Under Quilts, March 2006 & Homespun, October 2008.
- By the Dozen, profile of the Twelve by Twelve Collaborative Art Quilt Project, Quilters Companion, November 2008.
- Global Quilting, profile of the Twelve by Twelve Collaborative Art Quilt Project, Down Under Quilts, November 2008.
Prizes & Awards
- September 2013: Second prize, Art Quilt (Open) category, Canberra Quilters Exhibition Flying Colours: Eclectus Parrots
- August 2011: First prize, Tiny Treasures Canberra Quilters Exhibition, Lorikeet Dreaming
- June 2009: First prize, Art Quilt (Open) Sydney Quilt Show, Savannah and First prize New Traditions from Old Favourites, Dreamlines #3;
- September 2009: Second Prize Art/Pictorial Category Australian Machine Quilters Association Show, Acacia Bloom
- August 2009: Third prize, Tiny Treasures Canberra Quilters Exhibition, Rose Moderne
- August 2008: 1st prize, Mixed Media Quilt (Open), Canberra Quilters' Exhibition, Acacia Bloom.
- June 2006: 1st prize, New Interpretations of a Traditional Block (Amateur), Sydney Quilt Show, Making Waves.
- Creative Skills Certificate - Patchwork & Quilting 7802-10, The City & Guilds of London Institute (July 2004).
- Judging Skills Certificate awarded by Jeannie Spears, NQACJ (November 2007).
- 2014 Sydney Quilt Show, The Quilters’ Guild of NSW Inc
- 2014 QuiltWest, The West Australian Quilters Association Inc
- 2013 Festival of Quilts, Auckland Quilt Guild
- 2012 Pearl Challenge, 30th anniversary challenge of The Quilters’ Guild of NSW Inc
- 2010 Quilters Showcase, Victorian Quilters Inc
Memberships & Associations